An invoice relates charges, credits, and payments together. When a subscription is created or renewed, or a charge is created on the account, Recurly will sum the charges, discount or tax as appropriate, and send the invoice out for collection. Your subscribers are notified of successful or failed invoice collection via email.
Your invoices dashboard provides an overview of all invoices generated by Recurly. The filters on this view allow you to bucket invoices into different categories for easy sorting:
- Every invoice generated within your Recurly site.
- All invoices that are pending collection. Recurly has not yet received payments for these invoices.
- Past Due
- All invoices that attempted collection, but payment failed. These invoices will be retried automatically through the dunning process.
- All invoices that have either experienced 20 declines, or has been through the dunning process without successful payment. These invoices will not be retried.
- All successfully collected invoices.
By default, your invoices will contain the following information:
- Company Details
- Company information configured in your site settings.
- Customer Details
- The account holder's name and billing information.
- Line Items
- Invoice line items contain any subscription or add-on description, as well as quantities and descriptions for charges and credits applied to the invoice. For recurring charges, the line items will include the bill cycle covered by this renewal charge. If a discount is applied, then the amount discounted from any active coupons are identified by line item.
- Subtotal of the line item amounts.
- US Sales Tax/VAT
- Total of the applicable taxes (as denoted by an asterisk in the line item rows) including the applied US Sales Tax or VAT rate.
- Amount Paid
- For refund invoices, the Amount Paid is not displayed.
- Amount Due/Refund Amount
- Amount currently due for the invoice. For refund invoices, the total refunded amount back to the customer
- Credit to Account
- The remaining credit applied back to the customer’s account from the current invoice.
A subscription change with a timeframe of immediately will generate an invoice that displays additional line items that includes prorated tax amounts:
- Prorating for remainder of subscription term
- Charges from upgrading.
- Remaining value for the subscription
- Credit due to downgrade.
Subscription signups and one-time transactions are invoiced and collected upon immediately. Subscription renewals and manual charges are invoiced and then processed at the top of every hour.
An Open invoice can be manually marked as Closed by opening the invoice in your admin console and clicking the Stop Collection tab. This will give you two options:
Indicates that the invoice was not successfully paid for and that collection attempts should stop. This functionality is mostly used to halt the dunning procedures for an invoice.
Indicates that the invoice was successfully paid for and that automated collection attempts should stop - this functionality is typically used to indicate that payment was received via another method and that revenue should be recognized.
When invoice collection fails, the invoice immediately enters a Past Due state and collection attempts will start based on your dunning management settings. Recurly will email the customer to alert them of the failed payment and automatically retry payment based on the card and error type. Reviewing the invoice details will display each collection attempt and reason for the payment decline. Recurly will stop trying to collect on an invoice after it has been attempted 20 times, or when the timeline in your dunning management settings has passed without successful collection.
Please Note: Stopping collection on an invoice will not automatically cancel the related subscription. The subscription needs to be canceled separately in order to stop the subscription from renewing again.
All invoice start with number
1000 and increment by 1 with each invoice creation. If you need your invoices to start at a specific value, please contact Recurly support.
When a customer subscribes, their first invoice is automatically included in the New Subscription email template. Subsequent invoices are sent using the Payment Confirmation email template. Recurring invoices are not sent to customers when the total amount owed is $0.00. An invoice email can be resent by clicking the Resend Last Email button on a specific invoice.