Recurly is committed to supporting our customers by providing the tools you need to continue to grow - and protect your business from fraud. We partner with Kount, the leading fraud management platform, to give you superior fraud-fighting capabilities directly within Recurly.
- Reduced duplicitous orders
- Fewer chargebacks
- Improved customer experience
- Lower operational costs
- Decreased churn
When Kount’s Risk Inquiry Service has been enabled, Recurly will perform risk inquiries on new card verifications (sign-ups and billing info updates). Existing accounts with a credit or debit card on file will not undergo risk inquiries unless they update their billing information.
When enabled, Recurly invokes Kount’s Risk Inquiry Service (RIS). This services sends IP address, email address, card details, billing info, and transaction details, for each new card verification (new sign-up and billing info update) prior to contacting the payment gateway for verification.
If the risk decision is to decline the transaction, then Recurly will terminate the transaction and it will not be submitted to the payment gateway. It’s important to note, the more aggressive your fraud settings are, the higher the transaction decline rate will be. The more relaxed your fraud settings are, the lower the transaction decline rate will be. Thus, it is essential to find the right balance in your configuration.
Decline Threshold Rules
- Decline based on High-Risk Rule
- Decline based on Risk Score
Fraud Velocity Rules
- Credit Card: Decline based on velocity for the same credit card within an hour
- IP Address: Decline based on velocity for the same IP address within an hour
- Email Address: Decline based on velocity for the same email within 24 hours
- Device: Decline based on velocity for the same device within an hour
- Decline blacklisted payment countries based on BIN number (only VISA and MasterCard BIN countries are provided. Discover and AmEx will always return “US")
- Contact Recurly Technical Support to enable Kount Basic.
- Configure your fraud rules under the Configuration > Fraud Management section of your Admin Console
- Once you choose your fraud values, you will need to toggle the status to “Enable” and then “Save Changes” on the fraud configuration page to complete the set-up.
Kount Basic Fraud Management is available on Recurly's Professional and Enterprise Plans.
Kount Enterprise is the most powerful and customizable fraud management option available. Kount Enterprise provides you with the same leading digital fraud prevention technology as Kount Basic but with the added benefit of direct access to your own Kount Control Center and a dedicated Kount Customer Success Manager. Kount Enterprise provides you with the necessary tools to fight fraud by giving you the capability to create custom rules based off fraud trends and business policies, access to Kount’s business intelligence tool to perform in-depth analysis, ability to conduct manual reviews, and the utilization of Kount's next-generation artificial intelligence scoring.
When enabled, Recurly will invoke Kount’s Risk Inquiry Service (sending IP address, email address, shipping address, card details, billing info, and order details, etc to Kount) for each new card prior to contacting the payment gateway.
Kount responds with a risk decision based on their proprietary artificial intelligence and applies your custom rules. Recurly will honor the risk decision returned by Kount’s service. If the risk decision is to decline the transaction then Recurly will terminate this transaction and not contact the payment gateway. Otherwise, Recurly will continue with the transaction processing by submitting the details to the payment gateway.
Contact Recurly's Enablement Team to get started.
Kount Enterprise Fraud Management is available on Recurly's Enterprise Plan.
Updated 4 months ago