Recurly supports the addition of coupon codes to customer accounts, enabling merchants to offer a variety of promotions, discounts, and special offers. Coupons are supported via the Hosted Payment Pages, Recurly.js, and API. They can also be added to an account via the Recurly admin console.
Your coupons dashboard is divided into active (redeemable) and expired coupons. This overview page will also display basic coupon stats and the number of coupon redemptions per coupon.
From your main coupon page, click New Coupon. To create a new coupon you’ll need to define the following parameters:
- Coupon Code
- The unique identifier for a coupon code. Subscribers will enter this code upon subscribing.
- Coupon Name
- The name of the coupon.
- The dollar or percentage amount that will be subtracted from the cost of a subscription.
The lifespan determines how long a coupon will remain active on an account, as well as how many invoices the coupon will be applied to.
- A recurring discount that will be applied to each billing cycle.
- Single Use
- A one-time flat discount. Any discount amount over the initial purchase total is disregarded. Once redeemed, single use coupons will be applied to the first recurring invoice, and will go inactive immediately afterward.
- Limited Time
- A recurring discount that is only valid for a specified number of months. The coupon will discount any invoices generated between redemption date and the limited time date
- Limit to Plans
- Allows a coupon code to be applied to select subscription plans or all plans (including those subscription plans created in the future).
- Max Redemptions
- The maximum number of times a coupon can be used before it expires.
- Redeem-by Date
- The date/time through which a coupon offer is valid for redemption (after this date, a coupon cannot be applied to a users account. But if applied, it may still discount invoices according to the coupon lifespan.
- Hosted Payments Page Description
- A short description that will display on the Hosted Payments Page.
- Invoice Description
- A more detailed description of the coupon offer that appears on the customer invoice (not available for use yet).
Once a coupon has been created, it cannot be modified.
A coupon can be deleted from the main coupon view page. Once deleted, the coupon code may be reused.
A coupon will expire when it has naturally reached its predefined lifecycle - max numbers of redemptions used, redeem by date passed, etc. Once expired, the coupon code may not be reused.
Coupon Invoice Display
Coupons will display as an invoice subtotal “discount” amount.
Coupons are only applied to recurring charges. They will not apply to one-time charges on an account. The only exception is one-time setup fees with dollar-off coupons. If a subscription is $10 a month with a $25 setup fee, the initial invoice will be $35. A percentage-off coupon will only apply to the $10 recurring portion. A dollar-off coupon will apply to the full $35 on the initial subscription invoice. When the subscription renews, both types of discounts will only apply to the recurring charge.
If a coupon is applied to an account with an existing credit, the coupon will be used first.
A coupon’s lifespan will determine how long a coupon remains active, as well as how many invoices the coupon will be applied to. For example, a single use coupon will go inactive immediately after it’s applied to an invoice, whereas a limited lifespan coupon will be applied to any recurring invoices generated during its lifespan (ex: a coupon with a limited lifespan of two months will be applied to all recurring invoices generated within two months, and will automatically go inactive two months after the coupon was initially redeemed).
Coupons can be redeemed from a user’s account through the Recurly admin console, via the API, or on the Hosted Payments Page. A account can only have one active coupon at a given time.
Removing Coupon Redemptions
Coupons can be removed from a user’s account either through the Recurly admin console by clicking Remove Active Coupon under the Coupon Redemptions section of their account. You can also remove coupons using the API.
Export Coupon Redemptions
On the coupons page, you have the option to export your coupon redemptions. This export will export all accounts and the coupons they have redeemed. The export will show you the percent or amount off, the total discount to date, the date the coupon was added to the account, and the date and time the coupon will expire.
Bulk Coupon Code Creation
Coupons can be created in bulk using the API. Set the coupon options for the base template, then change the coupon_code for each coupon to a unique and random string (should be at least 16 characters, non-consecutive).